Faith should be defined as "awe in the face of mystery." Good films lead us further into this mystery and help us experience "awe." This year, First Baptist is partnering with the Wayne Theater by sponsoring six spiritual encounters (i.e. films) exploring their religious questions in order to see them a resource for Christian growth. Make plans to join us for a 'pay what you will' experience and stick around for panel discussions that give voice to the mystery and majesty of finding faith in film.
2017 Faith & Film Schedule
- February 12, 2017
- Movie: Selma (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1020072/?ref_=nv_sr_2)
- Length: 2hr 8min
- Conversation following on Race, Police, Beloved Community, and God’s hope for humankind. The intention is to discuss the film in light of current events and God’s hope for us to live together.
- April 9, 2017 (Palm Sunday)
- Movie - Chocolat (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241303/)
- Length: 2hr 1min
- Conversation following to discuss how the movie portrays Christianity and our embrace of the “other” in our understanding of chosen morality. The movie also carries Christian undertones for Lent, fasting, sin, love, hope, and forgiveness.
1. Linda Kusse-Wolfe, Senior Pastor @ Main St. UMC
2. Lacey Davis, Minister to Families with Children @ First Baptist
3. Paul Pingle, Senior Pastor @ Grace Lutheran
Host: Barrett Owen, Senior Pastor @ First Baptist
- June 11, 2017
- Movie: Brave (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1217209/?ref_=nv_sr_2)
- Length: 1hr 31min
- Conversation following about the trials of life, the inner demons we face, and the perseverance to overcome them. Determined to make her own path in life, Princess Merida defies a custom that brings chaos to her kingdom. Granted one wish, Merida must rely on her bravery and her archery skills to undo a beastly curse.
- August 13, 2017
- Movie: Moana (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3521164/)
- Length: 1hr 34min
- Conversation following about how the film follows (almost perfectly) Joseph Campbell's philosophical idea of the Hero's Journey. The same journey that Jesus takes as well as each of us throughout our lifetime.
- October 8, 2017
- Movie: O Brother Where Art Thou (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190590/?ref_=nv_sr_1)
- Length: 1hr 47min
- Conversation following about how this movie follows the same storyline from the Odyssey. This quest adventure is a manifestation of the same spiritual quest each of us go on when we’re searching after God.
- December 10, 2017
- Movie: The Nativity Story (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0762121/?ref_=nv_sr_1)
- Length: 1hr 41min
- Conversation following about Mary and Joseph’s journey to Bethlehem and the significance of this story in our lives. The incarnation is the most important inbreaking of God in our world since creation. It needs to be reflected on and discussed.