Being, Going, Making
Mission Matters: for God’s witness, the Church’s vitality, our own discipleship, and the common good of our communities.
Join us for this one-day regional event designed to foster conversations and encourage renewed approaches to local and global missions. Develop new ideas and learn about opportunities to engage in disaster response, international missions, school partnerships, prison ministry, and more.
Come explore and expand how Mission Matters for the transformation of your congregation, yourself, and your community.
8:30-9:00 – Onsite Registration and Ministry Fair
9:00-10:00 – Opening Plenary Session
10:15-11:15 – Breakout Session 1
11:15-11:45 – Coffee Break and Ministry Fair *note: first-time DR volunteers will remain in Breakout Session 1*
11:45-12:45 – Breakout Session 2
12:45-2:00 – Lunch and Panel Discussion
2:00-3:00 – Breakout Session 3
3:00-3:30 – Commissioning Service
Being, Going, Making
“He appointed twelve that they might BE with him and that he might send them out to preach…” (Mark 3:14)
“Therefore GO and MAKE disciples of all nations…” (Matthew 29:18)
Keynote Speakers: Jan and Tony Johnson, Southwest Virginia Partnership
Breakout sessions for the Disaster Response track will cover:
- Intro to DR – Volunteers will understand who we are, how we respond, and what we do as Virginia Baptist Disaster Response. Required attendance for first-time disaster volunteers; volunteers who are recertifying will have the opportunity to attend a Mission Development breakout session (listed below) and visit the Ministry Fair during this time.
- DR Clean Up – Volunteers will get an overview of how to respond to homes flooded, wind damaged, or affected by fire. Using best practices in chain saw, muckout, mold remediation, ash out, and temporary roof repair, cleanup volunteers get down and dirty to make sure homeowners don’t.
- DR Feeding – When homes are affected, our feeding volunteers help residents take care of basic needs by providing hearty, nutritious meals in our mobile, commercial kitchens. Training will give volunteers capability to respond with feeding teams after a disaster.
Breakout sessions for the Mission Development track will include:
- Bill Roberts, Love INC (check out the local affiliate’s Facebook page) on Transformational Missions
- Lynn Litchfield, GraceInside with local church leaders on Prison Ministry
- Local church leaders on School Partnerships
- Craig Waddell, BGAV and Laura Davis, WMUV on Partnership Missions
- Local church leaders on Operation Inasmuch
Other nonprofit organizations, ministry connections, and mission opportunities will be available at the Ministry Fair.
Registration price includes lunch and is $15 for the Mission Development track and $25 for the Disaster Response track (additional cost for DR hat and t-shirt). Some local associations are offering $10 discounts to their member churches, so be sure to select your correct “registration type” in the online form. Registrants can register groups of up to 8 attendees from the same church at one time.
Community Missions Coordinator, Mission Development Staff
800.255.2428 or 804.915.5000 x7274