Rev. Ben Brown
- Life Verse: Proverbs 3:5-6
- Music: Ben Rector, Avett Brothers, and Derek Webb
- Book of the Bible: Mark
- Foods: BBQ, coffee, and doughnuts
- Coolest life experience: Driving cross country in 2013, visiting the Holy Lands in 2016
- Restaurants: Chickfila, Blue Mountain, Jersey Mike’s
- Vacation Destination: Sedona, Arizona; Newport, Rhode Island
- Teams: VCU Rams, Atlanta Braves, Houston Texans
- Favorite Books: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell, and Through Painted Deserts by Donald Miller
Ben was born in West Virginia, and spent the first few years of his life in Pennsylvania, but Ben considers himself a native Virginian. He is the younger brother of Josh and son of Carl and Laura Brown of Richmond. Ben is married to Courtney.
Ben has two degrees from Virginia Commonwealth University: a BS Broadcast Journalism and an MS in Patient Counseling.
Ben is a graduate of the Baptist Theological Seminary at Richmond (BTSR) where he served in many roles including Community Life Representative and Associate Moderator for the Student Leadership Council. Ben has served most recently as a Chaplain Intern at VCU Health System earning 4 units of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) and ministering to youth at Derbyshire Baptist Church where he was ordained into gospel ministry.
Ben was raised in the church and spent his formative years under the tutelage of several great ministers. He made a profession of faith and was baptized in November of 1996. Through mission experiences and worship, Ben’s faith would become his own.
Ben felt his initial calling to ministry during his high school years and ignored this calling to pursue a career in sports journalism during college. Left disenchanted by the race for high accolades and success, Ben often wondered how Christ would live in the modern world.
God continued to guide him during his schooling, and through tremendous support from ministers, his family, and friends Ben would enter seminary following his college graduation.
Ben is honored by the opportunity to guide youth and their families in these same conversations of the meaning of life and how to engage the mystery of God in our world today through student ministry.
firstname.lastname@example.org l Office: 540-949-8187